Funds by Fund Number with Statutory Language
and one‑half per cent of all the monies received by the State as privilege taxes on harness racing meetings shall be paid into
the Illinois Standardbred Breeders Fund.
Fund Number 0709 Illinois Thoroughbred Breeders Fund
Chapter 0230 Act 0005 Section 30
Fund Group: Special State Fund Total Revenue FY05: $2,406,396
Total Revenue FY06: $2,417,094
Fund Type: Appropriated
Administering Agency: Agriculture
(g) No monies shall be expended from the Illinois Thoroughbred Breeders Fund except as appropriated by the General
Assembly. Monies appropriated from the Illinois Thoroughbred Breeders Fund shall be expended by the Department of
Agriculture, with the advice and assistance of the Illinois Thoroughbred Breeders Fund Advisory Board, for the following
(1) To provide purse supplements to owners of horses participating in races limited to Illinois conceived and foaled and
Illinois foaled horses. Any such purse supplements shall not be included in and shall be paid in addition to any purses,
stakes, or breeders' awards offered by each organization licensee as determined by agreement between such organization
licensee and an organization representing the horsemen. No monies from the Illinois Thoroughbred Breeders Fund shall be
used to provide purse supplements for claiming races in which the minimum claiming price is less than $7,500.
(2) To provide stakes and awards to be paid to the owners of the winning horses in certain races limited to Illinois
conceived and foaled and Illinois foaled horses designated as stakes races.
(2.5) To provide an award to the owner or owners of an Illinois conceived and foaled or Illinois foaled horse that wins a
maiden special weight, an allowance, overnight handicap race, or claiming race with claiming price of $10,000 or more
providing the race is not restricted to Illinois conceived and foaled or Illinois foaled horses. Awards shall also be provided to
the owner or owners of Illinois conceived and foaled and Illinois foaled horses that place second or third in those races. To
the extent that additional moneys are required to pay the minimum additional awards of 40% of the purse the horse earns for
placing first, second or third in those races for Illinois foaled horses and of 60% of the purse the horse earns for placing first,
second or third in those races for Illinois conceived and foaled horses, those moneys shall be provided from the purse
account at the track where earned.
(3) To provide stallion awards to the owner or owners of any stallion that is duly registered with the Illinois
Thoroughbred Breeders Fund Program prior to the effective date of this amendatory Act of 1995 whose duly registered
Illinois conceived and foaled offspring wins a race conducted at an Illinois thoroughbred racing meeting other than a
claiming race. Such award shall not be paid to the owner or owners of an Illinois stallion that served outside this State at any
time during the calendar year in which such race was conducted.
(4) To provide $75,000 annually for purses to be distributed to county fairs that provide for the running of races during
each county fair exclusively for the thoroughbreds conceived and foaled in Illinois. The conditions of the races shall be
developed by the county fair association and reviewed by the Department with the advice and assistance of the Illinois
Thoroughbred Breeders Fund Advisory Board. There shall be no wagering of any kind on the running of Illinois conceived
and foaled races at county fairs.
(4.1) To provide purse money for an Illinois stallion stakes program.
(5) No less than 80% of all monies appropriated from the Illinois Thoroughbred Breeders Fund shall be expended for the
purposes in (1), (2), (2.5), (3), (4), (4.1), and (5) as shown above.
(6) To provide for educational programs regarding the thoroughbred breeding industry.
(7) To provide for research programs concerning the health, development and care of the thoroughbred horse.
(8) To provide for a scholarship and training program for students of equine veterinary medicine.
(9) To provide for dissemination of public information designed to promote the breeding of thoroughbred horses in
(10) To provide for all expenses incurred in the administration of the Illinois Thoroughbred Breeders Fund.
Fund Purpose: The purpose of this Fund is to deposit state monies received to encourage the breeding of
Funds by Fund Number with Statutory Language Page 351
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.